Thursday, August 2, 2012
Here are some more juicey tidbits from Bell of Lost Souls:
I was told, that GW is trying to invert their release order. Instead of two follow up waves after a Codex release they will release one or two smaller waves of models before every codex, one big release with the codex and some stragglers thereafter (mainly re-releases and model updates). This is widely known and not hard to deduce. But I was also told that this is only a test run for two upcoming releases and GW is fully prepared to switch back to the old modus operandi or a completely different release schedule.
GW has used the period of reduced LotR activity to produce new ranges far in advance. GW sits on a whole pile of army books/codexes and finished masters and has the flexibility to alter their release schedule seamlessly. The next two releases (Warriors of Chaos and Dark Angels) follow the old pattern, but the next two releases (Tau and Eldar) after these are deployed in the new fashion.
The Tau Codex was pushed back because of this, but only the book. The first batch of models will be released even earlier than planned (maybe even this year) – and yes, there are Kroots and no, there is no Lamprey – this whole set of rumours is 105% fake.
Faeit 212 (8-2-2012)
Flyer waves incoming: Four more fliers in the pipeline: renamed Eldar Nightwing (finished), Tau Copperhead (finished), and a medium sized Space Marine and a large Ork flyer.
Model production and codex production are decoupled after the planning phase now. Warriors of Chaos, Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marine codices are finished, Tau and High Elves nearly finished.
Every army rulebook from now on will have a special defining mechanic.
- Tau have a system of unit upgrades that get unlocked by another unit or other effects. For example, a Firewarrior cadre with an ethereal next to it, with markerlight support and scouting kroot unit will get a serious buff. Every unit has a small chart for three of these effects."
Here are my thoughts on these rumors:
- I'm doubting the Tau flyer will be called a Copperhead, everything Tau is named with fish/aquatic names, plus there are so many aquatic names to still choose from: Mako, Stingray, Guppy, etc.
- I agree that the "No more Kroot" and "Lamprey" rumors sounded very fishy and weirdly worded... I dont believe them at all
- I like the whole "defining mechanic" aspect of codexes going forward and I like the synergistic angle that Tau upgrades may or may not have. It may also tie into to earlier rumors that certain HQs make certain units Troops or give them other special abilities.
What do you guys think?
Stickmonkey over at Warseer just posted some juicy Tau rumors. Here they are:
"There has been some speculation on this, and I'm getting chatter now that seems to reinforce a few things, so I thought I'd post what is floating my way.
Tau Codex early next year.
Kroot and other existing allies are there, however they are limited. There appears to be an "Allies" supplement which will be out about the same time and include many more options. (aside: Dare I start a Spring of Allies moniker...ah well then it will end up being 2 years from now)
Crisis suits completely redone.
Stealth suits completely redone.
Pirahna has new option and I am not sure if it will be reboxed together or be sold as an upgrade kit.
New Pathfinders were seen being worked on a while back.
Ethereals expanded, new unit options around them.
There is a FW Tau model which has a unit entry in the codex. (My take is this might actually be a new plastic kit taking over a FW model, and before anyone yells GW doesnt cannibalize FW...yes, they do, they have, and they will.)
The floating chair ethereal was seen being worked on for a new model.
New fast skimmer sized between hammerhead and pirahna.
Flyer has dual gattling cannons
Flyer has option for rail guns
Flyer has bombs (not missiles!?)
Rule rumors (these are rumors people! I hate posting rule rumors cause I am not involved in that. Please take fwiw)
Railguns have a JOWW effect, they can hit multiple models in a line, but if hitting vehicles has a max number of hull points it can cause. the way this is described is it draws a line from the barrel to table edge, every model under starts taking hits starting with the closest. if it hits a vehicle or structure with HP, its strength drops, once it hits 3 or a table edge or fails to make a penetrating hit its done. rhino line's watch out!
There is some rumor of an Anti Psyker weapon. like night fighting, but no psychic powers for a game turn.
There is no flyer dedicated transport, and the existing flyer is going to be competing against some very good other options
The jetpack troops have some option to "pop up and shoot" from behind cover.
All I have for now
My initial thoughs:
- Crisis Suits need a serious resculpt so I'm happy to hear this. Stealth suits however, are pretty cool looking even though they are overpriced points wise.
- I realllllly hope they make Ethereals useful. They would be a great way to buff troops in general.
- The multi unit penetrating Railguns have been thrown around alot and that would be a very cool option, not to mention very cool cinematic effect on the game.
- Anti-psyker weapon is AWESOME and tau definately need it, I've always wanted them to be sorta like Dwarves in Fantasy: they dont use psyker abilities but are highly resistant to them.
What do you guys think?