Sunday, May 29, 2011

Finecast Preview!

OK, here's a preview of some new Dark Eldar Finecast miniatures.   So my next army is gonna be Dark Eldar (after winning some Kabalite Warriors at the Berks Spring Assault).   I was in the Granite Run mall Saturday, near Media, PA, and saw that Showcase Comics had some new Finecast models.  I remember talking to Kung Fu Dave about our trepidations about the new line of models because of some early negative previews this past week.   So I wanted to see if some of these problems were true (bad miscasts, bubble problems, warped peices).

First off, I took a brief look at the Finecast models they had for sale that were in the clear backed packages.   Overall things looked pretty good, no GLARING miscasts to speak of.   I looked at the same Librarian in Terminator armor that Legion from Dakka Dakka reviewed earlier this week.   The model Showcase had was in good condition.  The bolter was NOT miscast and overall it looked good.  The only issue with that Librarian model I saw was that his Force Staff thing was a bit warped, as in it had a slight curve to it (just like Legions model).

So having inspected the different models I picked up a Dark Eldar Succubus, Archon and a pack of Incubi.  Doing a quick open and inspection in my car afterwards all the models looked good with no major defects or bubble issues.

After getting home and taking photos for you guys to inspect, I did fine one minor bubble issue with a specific posed model of the Incubi.   See below outlined in red.   You'll see a small bubble issue on the model's left elbow joint.   Seems to effect the elbow and the cloth ribbon right below it.  This isn't a huge issue, I'm sure a little bit of green stuff will fill in the gap easily, but a small defect non-the-less.


























Otherwise the models looked nice.   There is A LOT OF FLASH on these, you will have to spend more time cleaning them.  But you will be able to model and do conversions MUCH EASIER than metal.   The detail is very good and pretty much on par with Forge World resin parts (i've included a pict of Forge World Blood Angels' Land Raider doors for reference.)

Overall Impression of Finecast:  Good.

I would highly recommend inspecting the sprues before you buy (for the clear container models anyways), but then again I did that with my metal blister purchases too, so its only common sense.

Here are pictures of the rest of the sprues.  Please inspect and point out any miscasts or anything I may have missed.   If any are found I will update the blog.

















































Forge World piece:

No comments:

Post a Comment